TABLE OF CONTENTS
RG 102, League of Nations Association, Connecticut Branch
Inventory of Records
Finding aid prepared by Connecticut State Library staff.
Copyright © 2007 by the Connecticut State Library
The American Association for International Cooperation and the League of Nations Non-Partisan Association merged on January 10, 1923 to become the League of Nations Non-Partisan Association. This name was shortened in 1929 to become the League of nations Association. This organization was set up to promote world peace, educate the public about the League, and mobilize support for U.S. entrance into the League. The Connecticut Branch of the Association first met in New Haven in December 1924. It organized World Court committees, ran a Speakers' Bureau, planned meetings for anniversaries of the League and annual meetings of the Branch, many of which were held on the Yale University campus. It also promoted Model Assemblies, sponsored a competitive exam contest in high schools, worked with the Connecticut Council on International Relations and the National Peace Conference, and distributed publications of these and other organizations, including the Carnegie Endowment for International Peace, and the National Committee for the International Labor Organization. It broadcast radio programs about the League and world conditions on stations in New Haven and Waterbury, mounted a successful campaign to show the national organization's film, Hell and the Way Out, in commercial theaters in Connecticut, ran petition drives, and arranged lecture-series tours.
The records include administrative files, petitions, and public relations and educational materials.
Restrictions on Access
These records are stored at an off-site facility and therefore may not be available on a same-day basis.
Restrictions on Use
See the Reproduction and Publications of State Library Collections policy.
League of Nations Association (U.S.). Connecticut Branch
League of Nations
League of Nations Association (U.S.). Connecticut Branch -- Records and correspondence
The State Library received these records, with the exception of the printed pamphlets, on September 11, 1940, from the branch’s executive director Mrs. Florence L.C. Kitchelt of New Haven.