Preserving the Past, Informing the Future
|Skip Navigation Links|
1919, opened as Seaside Sanatorium, located at Crescent Beach in Niantic
(East Lyme). Administered by the
State Tuberculosis Commission
1930, shoreline property in Waterford purchased.
1934, February, patients moved from Niantic to new Waterford facility.
1958, Tuberculosis program at Seaside ended. Patients were transferred to Uncas on Thames Hospital
1959, reopened as Seaside Geriatric Hospital. Transferred administratively to the Dept. of Health, Office of Tuberculosis Control, Hospital Care and Rehabilitation. (Possibly administered by Welfare Dept. for early part of the year.)
1961, February 15, admissions to Seaside Geriatric Hospital stopped.
1961, May, converted to Seaside Regional Center for the Mentally Retarded, under the administration of the Dept. of Health, Office of Mental Retardation.
1975, administration of Seaside Regional Center transfers to the new Dept. of Mental Retardation
1996 facility closed, patients transferred to state owned properties in local communities.
Thorough information including photographs is available in the Annual Reports of the Tuberculosis Commission, [CSL Call Number ConnDoc T791sc]
and Records in the State Library Collections :
Check the State Library catalog, CONSULS, under these author headings for publications by the agency available in the State Library :
Seaside Regional Center (Waterford, Conn.)
Annual Reports are located in :
[CSL Call Number ConnDoc T791sc]
Digest of Administrative Reports to the Governor. [CSL Call Number ConnDoc F40 d]
State Archives Record Group : RG 179 (Special Care Sanatoria).
Years of Service
|John Francis O'Brien||1919-1946|
|John F. O'Brien||1947-1951|
|Cole B. Gibson (Acting)||Aug. 6, 1951-1952|
|Michael A. Ferrara||1954-1958|
|John P. Bachman||1959-1960|
|Fred F. Finn||1961-1977|
Prepared by the Government Information and Reference Services Unit, page revised 8/2008.