Preserving the Past, Informing the Future
|Skip Navigation Links|
1910, August, established by the
State Tuberculosis Commission
as the Fairfield County Home for the Care and Treatment of Persons
Suffering from Tuberculosis, renamed Shelton State Sanatorium.
1926 renamed Laurel Heights.
1957, administration transferred to the Commission on Tuberculosis and other Chronic Illness
1959, June 22, began accepting patients with other chronic diseases.
1959/60, transferred to Dept. of Health, Office of Tuberculosis Control, Hospital Care and Rehabilitation. Renamed Laurel Heights Hospital.
1981, March 12, ceased operations. Facility transferred to Dept. of Administrative Services as of Oct. 8, 1981.
Laurel Heights State Tuberculosis Sanatorium. Laurel Heights Sanatorium, Shelton, Conn: Welcome. Hartford, State Tuberculosis Commission, n.d.
[CSL Call Number ConnDoc T791 Lahe]
Thorough information including photographs included in the annual reports of the Tuberculosis Commission, [CSL Call Number ConnDoc T791sc]
Check the State Library catalog, CONSULS, under these author headings for publications by the agency available in the State Library:
Laurel Heights State Tuberculosis Sanatorium.
Annual Reports are located in :
Number ConnDoc T791sc]
Digest of Administrative Reports to the Governor [CSL Call Number ConnDoc F40 d]
State Archives Record Group: RG 179 (Special Care Sanatoria)
Years of Service
|William M. Stockwell||1910-1915|
|Edward J. Lynch||1916-Dec. 1, 1954|
|Kirby S. Howlett, Jr.||Dec. 1, 1954-1967|
|Frederick C. Warring||1968-1971|
|John B. O'Connor||1972-1976|
|Wallace W. Turner||1977-1980|
Prepared by the Government Information and Reference Services Unit, page revised 6/2008.