Listed here are manuscript collections that are assigned a unique record group number or are a subgroup of RG 69, Manuscript Collections. Additional manuscript material can be found among the Classified Archives. Researchers should check the card catalog in the History and Genealogy reading room.
LaFlamme-Kusek Post No. 15, 1925-1961 (RG 173:003)
The Griswold Post No. 15, American Legion held its organizational meeting in August 1919 and received its charter from the National Headquarters on September 6, 1919. At a special meeting held on March 15, 1920, the name of the post was changed to Orville LaFlamme Post No. 15 to honor LaFlamme who was killed in France in July 1919 during the fighting at Chateau Thierry. In October 1945 it was voted to again change the Post’s name to the LaFlamme-Kusek Post No. 15 in honor of Stanley Michael Kusek, the first man from Griswold to be killed in World War II. Contains information on Post meetings and activities compiled by Post historian Gilbert H. Miner.
Army-Navy Club of
Connecticut, 1892-1936 (RG 119)
Founded in 1879 and disbanded in 1936, the Army and Navy Club of Connecticut was composed of honorably discharged Civil War soldiers and sailors. Annual dinner meetings were held, usually in Hartford. The Club was disbanded in 1936 and the records were deposited in the State Library. The collection consists of biographical sketches and obituaries, minutes of annual dinner meetings, membership lists, financial records, programs, Secretary’s reports, and correspondence.
Arts and Crafts Club
of Hartford, 1909-1951 (RG 108)
The Club was organized with the purpose “to associate those actively or otherwise interested in the various branches of the arts and crafts for mutual benefit; to foster and promote interest in the handicrafts. . . and to encourage and stimulate. . . wider participation in and appreciation of good craftwork in all its branches.” The Club maintained a workshop and sponsored and organized exhibits, demonstrations, lectures, and study courses. When the interest of the members waned, the Club was legally terminated in 1951, with its material assets divided among the Children’s Museum, the West Hartford Art League, and the Society of Connecticut Craftsmen.
Austin (Ruth Anne Beach) Diaries, 1860-1888 (RG
Ruth Anne Beach Austin lived from 1821 to 1899. Weather observations, visitors, travels, and notes on significant events interwoven in 28 volumes of Middlebrook's New England Almanac.
Babcock (Stuart E.) Collected Papers, 1836-1859 (RG
Letters received by various Connecticut citizens, including Gov. Chauncey F. Cleveland, Nathan Schofield, James Hovey.
Baldwin (Raymond E.) Papers, 1938-1965 (RG 069:010)
Raymond E. Baldwin was Governor of Connecticut, United States Senator, Chief Justice of the State Supreme Court, and Chairman of the State Constitutional Convention (1965). Personal and semi-official files, including correspondence, draft legislation, speeches, news releases.
Baptist Associations of Connecticut, 1793-1957 (RG 070:083)
Collected published annual meeting minutes and Sunday school convention minutes from Baptist Associations of Connecticut. The collection contains the following Baptist associations minutes: Ashford, Danbury, Fairfield, Hartford, Litchfield, New Haven, New London, Stonington, Stonington Union, Otsego (New York), and Shaftsbury.
Bates (Carlos) Papers, 1820-1878 (RG 069:014)
Carlos Bates (1808-1878) was an East Granby merchant, peddler, money-lender, etc. His brothers include Anson Bates (b. 1799), a lawyer and justice of the peace, and Albert Bates (b. 1804), an Ohio farmer. Correspondence and business papers.
Bidwell (Frederick S.) Papers, 1890-1899 (RG
Frederick S. Bidwell (1848-1928) was a lumber, building materials and hardware dealer of Windsor Locks, Conn. Account book, 1890, and paid bills and invoices, 1895-1899.
Billings (Coddington) Papers, 1743-1844 (RG
Coddington Billings (1770-1845) was an attorney, selectman, justice of the peace, probate judge, and state legislator of Stonington, Conn. Accounts, correspondence, and papers pertaining to ships and shipping, and court cases.
Birge (Willis H.) Financial Papers, 1799-1938 (RG 069:143)
Willis Henry Birge was born on January 1, 1859 in Windsor Locks, Connecticut, to Henry and Eliza H. (Viets) Birge. Both Willis' father Henry (1814-1899) and his grandfather David Birge (1770-1847) were wagon makers. On February 11, 1880, Birge married Hattie Montgomery Sargent, also of Windsor Locks. Birge made a living as a farmer and tobacco grower. He died in Plainville, Connecticut on April 29, 1957, aged 98 years.
Blackman (Oliver and Theodore) Papers, 1801-1930, bulk 1862-1865 (RG 069:131)
Oliver Blackman served in Company D of the 23rd Regiment Connecticut Volunteer Infantry from 1862-1863. Theodore Blackman enlisted in the Union Navy and served on several vessels from 1862-1865. The bulk of the papers contain correspondence between Oliver Blackman, Theodore Blackman, and Julia Blackman during the Civil War. The papers include correspondence, diaries, personal papers, publications, research material, photographs, and artifacts.
Bouton Family Letters and Sermons, 1820-2009, bulk 1820-1865 (RG 069:154)
The letters and sermons consist of materials pertaining to Nathaniel Bouton, John Benedict Bouton, Harriet A. Bouton, and other Bouton family members. Nathaniel Bouton was pastor of the First Congregational Church in Concord, New Hampshire; a historian; and a member of numerous organizations. John Benedict Bouton was a hatter and volunteer soldier in Company H of the 8th Regiment Connecticut Volunteer Infantry during the Civil War. Included in the letters and sermons are correspondence, sermons, a diary entry, and photographs.
Bryant (Percy S.) Papers, 1891-1902 (RG 069:091)
Percy S. Bryant was an attorney with the firm Case, Bryant & Case, state legislator, and delegate to Connecticut Constitutional Convention of 1902. Papers relating to Hartford Bridge including legal, news clippings and engineers reports. Papers relating to East Hartford Fire District, East Hartford Water Co. bond issue, East Hartford Light and Power Co, Hartford, Manchester and Rockville Tramway Co., and the Connecticut Constitutional Convention of 1902.
Burr (Nelson R.) Collection, 1895-1986 (RG
Connecticut Congressional Papers Survey Project records and biographical notes compiled in the project.
Burton Historical Society Papers, 1718-1891 (RG
Deeds and related papers from Norwalk, Conn. as well as deeds, correspondence, bills and receipts from other Connecticut towns. Also coroner's papers, Norwalk, 1853.
Butler (Eva L.) Transcripts, 1635-1800 (RG 069:066)
Transcripts and excerpts from early Connecticut records, relating principally to Indians and the Groton-New London area. Copied mostly from the Connecticut Archives, the Trumbull Papers, the Winthrop Papers, court and land records.
Camp (David N. ) Collection, 1805-1868 (RG 069:068)
Account books, ledgers, receipted bills, deeds and other family papers of Elah Camp (1792-18656) and other family members of Meriden and Durham, Conn. collected by David N. Camp (1820-1916).
Canada (ship) Papers, 1835-1858 (RG 069:048)
Letters, accounts, receipts, petitions, etc. of Edward A. Russell, Ratcliffe Hicks and others concerning the Canada.
Chapman (Silas, Jr.) collection, 1866-1915 (RG
Evolution of insurance policies, 1866-1915. Seven hundred eighty-one different forms "gathered together in the usual course of business."
Chase Weld Thayer (Collection), 1934-1993 (RG 069:036)
Photographs, postcards, scrapbooks, news clippings, incoming correspondence and other materials related to Chase's work as a landscape architect on the Merritt Parkway. Also includes his later efforts to preserve it as a national historic landmark.
Cheshire Collection, 1832, 1880-1916 (RG069:070)
School, library, church, local society and entertainment programs, catalogs and photographs pertaining to the town of Cheshire, Conn.
Church (Leila M.) Collection, circa 1900-1931 (RG
Original one-act plays, operettas, music arrangements, etc.
Civil War, Sons of
Union Veterans of the, 1909-1915 (RG 114)
This organization is composed of male descendants of veterans of the Union Army in the Civil War. The organization was involved in marking the graves of Civil War veterans, ensuring proper observance of national holidays, and the care and upkeep of Civil War Memorials. Records created by the Griffin A. Stedman, Camp #6 Connecticut Division, include correspondence, financial records and pamphlets.
Clark (Horace Bushnell) Collection, 1816-1928 (RG
Includes letter to Ezra Clark, Sr., 1931; White House and other Washington invitations of Ezra Clark, Jr., U.S. Representative from Hartford, 1855-1859; campaign literature for Zachary Taylor, Frank Brandegee, Joseph R. Hawley, George L. Lilley (1848-1918); pamphlets and other materials on the New York, New Haven and Hartford and other railroads, 1913-1918; advertisements for patent medicines sold by Daniel Hopkins, a druggist in Hartford, Conn., 1816.
Coley (James Edward) Journals and Papers, 1838-1914
James Edward Coley (1832-1916), an Episcopal minister, was born in Saugatuck (Westport), Connecticut. Journals, scrapbook, manuscript genealogies of Coley family, letters, and a volume of portraits of scholars and young men.
College Club of
Hartford, 1905-1944, 1993-2006 (RG 131)
The club was organized at a “mass meeting and rally of college women,” in Hartford on February 11, 1905, with its object “mainly social, philanthropic, or literary.” Among its activities, the Club took a leading role in the establishment of the Spruce Street Settlement, later known as Mitchell House. The materials consist of meeting minutes, annual reports, financial records, and materials relating to the Club’s activities at Mitchell House and during World War I. Also included are revisions to by-laws published in 1996 and copies of annual programs.
Collins (Edward Dalton) Autograph Collection, 1664-1969
Collected autographs of political, military, show business, and popular figures, mostly 1900-1960.
Colonial Dames of America, Connecticut Society, 1900-1942 (RG 143)
The Connecticut Society of the Colonial Dames of America was established in 1893 “to create widespread interest in history, to inspire love of this Republic, to do justice and honor to heroic ancestors, and to commemorate the labors and achievements of the founders of our country.” Includes "Old Houses of Connecticut", a series of studies conducted in the early 20th century on early Connecticut houses and other historically important buildings. A card index in the History & Genealogy reading room is arranged alphabetically by city or town.
Colonial Wars in the State of Connecticut, Society of (RG 150)
The Society of Colonial Wars in the State of Connecticut was organized in 1893 to “perpetuate the memory of the events of American Colonial History, and of the men who assisted in the establishment, defense and preservation of the American Colonies.” Membership is composed of male descendants of men who rendered military or civil service to the colonies from the settlement of Jamestown, May 13, 1607 to the battle of Lexington, April 19, 1775. The collection consists of supplemental and original applications for membership in the state organization.
Colt's Patent Fire Arms Manufacturing Company Records, circa 1810-1980 (RG 103)
The records of Colt’s Patent Fire Arms Manufacturing Company document gun manufacturing at the armory and the company’s subsidiaries, together with outside contracting activities.
Company K Veteran
Corps, circa 1878-1948 (RG 173:001)
The Company K Veterans Corps of Hartford was founded in 1879 "to promote the interests and welfare of the active Company and preserve and continue the recollection of the service in the National Guard." All past members of Company K, First Regiment Infantry, Connecticut National Guard who had received an honorable discharge were eligible for election into this corps.
of Churches and Religious Education, 1832-1934 (RG 134)
The Council was formed as an interdenominational organization to promote the Christian religion. The records contain minutes, convention programs, and the financial records of several predecessor organizations, the Connecticut Federation of Churches, Connecticut Sunday School Union, Connecticut Sunday School Association, and Connecticut Council of Religious Education. Also included are printed pamphlets and newspaper clippings.
Association, 1891-1995 (RG 127)
The Connecticut Library Association (CLA) was organized in 1891 in New Haven to promote library interests by discussion and interchange of ideas and methods, and not to “trench upon the province of the American Library Association.” The original aims of the CLA have grown to include standards for librarianship, advancing types of library services, and providing opportunities for action upon mutual problems by trustees, librarians, and others interested in library affairs. The collection includes proceedings, scrapbooks, meeting minutes, working papers, financial records, correspondence, and publications.
1896-1910 (RG 121)
The Connecticut Magazine, described itself in its company letterhead as “Incorporated under the laws of Connecticut for the purpose of collecting in permanent form the various phases of history, literature, art, science, genius, industry and all that pertains to the maintenance of the honorable record which this state has attained.” The Connecticut Magazine was the successor to Connecticut Quarterly (1895-1898). In its day, the Connecticut Quarterly described itself as dedicated to “showing the manner of life and the attainment thereof in the commonwealth of a diligent people.” Both magazines included photographs, drawings, poems, reminiscences, stories, and historical articles. The Connecticut Magazine appears to have ceased publication after volume 12, number 3, in 1908. The collection contains correspondence, manuscripts submitted for publication, and photographs.
Society, 1792-1912 (RG 138)
The Connecticut Medical Society was incorporated in 1792. From its inception, until 1893, the Society was responsible for licensing physicians. Now known as the Connecticut State Medical Society, it exists as a voluntary non-profit organization for scientific and educational purposes. The records consist primarily of proceedings of the Society, together with a small quantity of Civil War era Connecticut Medical Examining Board materials.
Optometric Society, 1908-1942 (RG 139)
The Connecticut Optometric Society, formerly known as the Connecticut State Optical Society, was organized July 29, 1908. The objectives of the Society are, “to encourage a higher standard of education in the science of Optometry, to keep abreast of the rapid advancement along these lines, to diffuse optical and optometrical knowledge and promote friendly intercourse among optometrists and opticians, to safeguard the material interests of the profession of optometry, to assist in securing the enactment and enforcement of Optical Legislation, and to enlist and direct public opinion in regard to the problem of optometrical science.” The Society is now known as the Connecticut Association of Optometrists (CAO). Materials in this collection include record books and meeting minutes.
Connecticut Peace Society, 1910-1921 (RG 125)
The Connecticut Peace Society appears to have been established in 1910, “to foster the spirit of amity and concord among the nations, and to create a public sentiment which will lead to the abandonment of war as a means of settling international disputes.” It functioned as a division of the American Peace Society, holding annual meetings, sponsoring peace essay contests, distributing pamphlets and other printed materials, and expressing its views through the press and by communications with government officials. On April 1, 1921, it ceased independent existence, though the American Peace Society continued. The collection includes a constitution, contest essays, correspondence, financial records, and publications.
Dental Association, 1864-1965 (RG 140)
Established in 1864, the Connecticut Dental Society was incorporated in 1876. It was organized out of the “desire for mature improvement and the cultivation of the social element among all in our profession.” The records consist of minutes of meetings, reports of conventions and special meetings, scrapbooks, proceedings, applications, miscellaneous printed reports, and a manuscript history of the organization written in 1940 by P. Bullock Jones. Also included are minutes of meetings of the Board of Censors, 1901-1928, an organization concerned with ethical practices.
Connecticut State Teachers' Association, 1846-1934 (RG 144)
The Connecticut State Teachers Association was chartered in Meriden on April 7, 1816. The purpose of the Association was, “the mutual improvement of its members, and the elevation of the character of our schools.” The records include minutes of meetings, records of the Board of Directors, financial records, programs, correspondence, and related papers. Also included are records of the Fairfield County Teachers Association, 1877-1934.
Connecticut State Teachers' League, 1903-1920
The Connecticut State Teachers’ League was founded in 1903 to promote higher professional standards and training. Its membership was limited to women. The records consist of minutes of meetings, constitution, financial records, meeting announcements, and correspondence.
Connecticut Teachers' Annuity Guild, 1896-1927 (RG 147)
The Connecticut Teachers’ Annuity Guild was formed in 1896 from various smaller regional teacher organizations around the state. The records consist of minutes of meetings and financial records.
Connecticut Valley Kindergarten Association, 1985-1940 (RG 146)
The Connecticut Valley Kindergarten Association was organized in 1882. The object of the organization was, “to promote sympathy and helpfulness among its members and to stimulate interest in all branches of kindergarten work.” The collection includes meeting minutes, lists of members, and records from the treasurer.
Connor (Michael A.) Collection, 1933-1935 (RG 069:040)
Crocker (Edward H.) Records and Photographs (RG 069:002)
Collected service records and photographs of Connecticut residents (mostly Hartford) in World War I.
Cross (Wilbur L.) Papers, 1914-1949 (RG 069:096)
Wilbur Cross (1862-1948) was Governor of Connecticut, 1931-1939. Correspondence, clippings and royalty statements, genealogical materials and materials relating to Gov. Cross's death in 1948.
Curtiss (Benjamin DeForest) Collection, 1716-1914 (RG
Autographs, broadsides, manuscripts, money, newspapers, etchings (Edwin Forbes).
Daughters of 1812,
National Society of United States, 1769-2003 (RG 120)
The Society was organized on January 8, 1892. To become eligible for membership, a prospective member was required to trace her genealogy directly to an ancestor who had served in the United States military or civil service between 1784 and 1815. Chief among the Society’s purposes was the dissemination of knowledge of American history. Ways in which this objective was pursued were “preserving documents and relics, marking historic spots, recording family histories and traditions, and urging Congress to compile and publish authentic records of men in civil, military and naval service.” The National Society is still active. The Connecticut Society of United States Daughters of 1812 was organized March 2, 1906. The Connecticut branch participated actively in the national society, becoming particularly prominent when a Hartford woman, Mrs. Clarence F. R. Jenne, became the national president in 1918. The records contain newsletters, proceedings, scrapbooks, histories, reports, and publications.
Daughters of the
American Revolution, Connecticut Chapters, 1778, 1869-1989 (RG 123)
The records consist primarily of material documenting the Ruth Wyllys Chapter of Hartford, formed in 1892, and the Penelope Terry Ashby Chapter of Enfield, founded in 1922. Included in the papers are annual reports, applications for membership, historical papers, minutes of meetings, scrapbooks, and treasurer’s records.
Ruth Wyllys Chapter (Hartford, Conn.),1778, 1869-1989 (RG 123:001)
Penelope Terry Abbey
Chapter (Enfield, Conn.), 1922-1932 (RG 123:002)
Davis (Fred Cady) Collection, 1723-1951 (RG
Represented in the collection are a number of relatives, associates and descendants of Deacon Daniel Davis (1768-1847) of Somers, Conn., including Amariah Kibbe (1780-18440) of Somers, and members of the Cady, Chapin, Harwood, Hurlburt and Stebbins families. Edwin C. Davis (1844-1917) was a Civil War soldier, Deputy Customs Collector at Darien, Georgia , and member of the Connecticut General Assembly. Account books, diaries, correspondence, memorabilia, pamphlets and children's books.
Descendants of the
Founders of Hartford, Society of, 1832, 1900, 1924-1936 (RG 116)
The preamble to the Constitution of the Society of Descendants of the Founders of Hartford gives the following description of the objectives of the organization: “We, descendants of the Founders of Hartford, do hereby constitute ourselves the Society of the Descendants of the Founders of Hartford, in order to further the worthy celebration of the three hundredth anniversary of the founding of the city. . . that original documents and historical works of merit relating to the founders and the early history of the city may be published; and to see to it that relics of the founders and of the early history of the city may be preserved.” Records include scrapbooks, guest books, pamphlets, maps, genealogical charts, and photographs.
Dewey Homestead Collection, 1842-1909 (RG 069:088)
The Dewey Homestead is in North Granby, Conn. Six daybooks containing accounts of carpentry, tannery, general merchandise, family and town activities in Granby.
Dresser (Wilfred) and Clare Plummer Dresser
collection, 1898-1931 (RG 069:110)
Annotated books, correspondence, certificate, photographs, and miscellaneous materials relating to Connecticut members of the American Expeditionary Forces (AEF) and veterans of other conflicts from that era as well as the Red Cross.
Alumni Association, Connecticut, 1946-1973 (RG 149)
Emerson College, founded in 1880 as a small school of oratory, has evolved into the only comprehensive college or university in the country dedicated exclusively to communication and the arts. Located in Boston, the college presently enrolls 2600 undergraduate and 600 graduate students. The Alumni Association fosters and maintains the spirit and devotion of the alumni in an effort to promote growth and the reputation of the College as a leader in communication and arts education. This small collection contains meeting minutes and an Emerson College Bulletin.
Evans (George J.) Papers, 1918-1969 (RG 069:092)
George J. Evans was a surveyor with the Connecticut Highway Department. Papers relating to his career, photographs relating to both his job and his personal interests.
Ex-Libris CLub of
the Connecticut State Library, 1912-1951 (RG 128:001)
Formed in 1912, the Ex Libris Club was a social organization of employees of the State Library and the Supreme Court. The Club held parties and picnics, sent cards and flowers, attended weddings and christenings, published an internal newsletter entitled the State Library Echo, and kept scrapbooks of members and activities. In 1951 employees disbanded the club and formed the State Library and Supreme Court Club, 1951-1986. See also, State Library and Supreme Court Club, 1971-1987 (RG 128:002)
Foote Family Papers,
1728-1867 (RG 069:120)
The papers consist of materials pertaining to three generations of members of the Foote family of Marlborough, principally Asa Foote (1728-1806), his son Joel Foote (1763-1846), the children of Joel Foote and their spouses, and other relatives. Asa, a farmer by trade, and Joel Foote, a clothier and merchant, were both well to do and prominent political figures in Marlborough Society in Colchester and in the town of Marlborough.
Forster (Frank) Architectural Papers, 1911-1946 (RG
Frank Forster (1886-1948) of Killingworth, Conn. was an architect. Drawings, specifications, sketches, photographs and related papers pertaining to houses and other structures designed by Forster.
Founders and Patriots of America, Connecticut Society, Order of the, 1896-1914 (RG 130)
The Order of the Founders and Patriots of America was incorporated in New York on March 18, 1896. The terms of eligibility require that every member must be descended in the male line of father or mother, from an ancestor who settled in one of the original thirteen colonies within fifty years from the settlement of Jamestown, VA, May 13, 1607. An additional requirement stipulated that the member be descended through the same line from a patriot in the Revolutionary War, but not of necessity through those who rendered military service. The Connecticut members set up their own Society on May 9, 1896, and the organization has continued to meet regularly, publish various items and engage in other activities. The records include correspondence, minutes of meetings, publications, a scrapbook, and treasurer’s records.
Francis (John) Papers, 1813-1860 (RG 069:093)
John Francis (1792-1868) was a farmer and judge of probate who was born in Windham, Conn. and moved to Griswold and then Canterbury, Conn. about 1825. These papers pertain to his office as judge of probate, Canterbury tax lists, and estate and personal records.
Fuller (Stephen B.) Papers, 1822-1883 (RG 069:082)
Stephen B. Fuller of Hebron, Conn. was a town clerk. Accounts, business papers, correspondence, legal documents
General Assembly Private Diaries, 1850 (RG
Handwritten diary from unidentified member during the 1850 session. Covers early abolition debates.
Gildersleeve (Sylvester) Papers, 1816-1919 (RG
Sylvester Gildersleeve was a shipbuilder and merchant of Gildersleeve (Portland), Conn. Account books, day books, memo books and notebooks of Sylvester Gildersleeve and his son Frederick and the firm of S. Gildersleeve & Son.
Gillette (William Hooker) Collection, 1884-1936 (RG
Correspondence, simple contract between William Hooker Gillette (1853-1937) and the Lambs Club in New York City, photo scrapbook, clippings and miscellaneous items concerning children and cats, circa 1895-1936.
Goodwin (Henry.L.) Papers,
1860-1884 (RG 069:020)
Superintendent of Penny Post Co., San Francisco and later resident of East Hartford, Conn. Letters, clippings, drafts of articles concerning protracted controversies with U.S. Post Office Department and New York, New Haven and Hartford Railroad.
Goodwin (Joseph Olcott) Collection, 1863-1890 (RG
Scrapbook, notebooks, a letter and file book, a literary manuscript, an annotated book on Joseph Olcott Goodwin's (b. 1843) political and public service as well as other activities.
Goodwin (William Brownell ) Collection, 1934-1949 (RG
William Brownell Goodwin (1866-1950) was a Hartford archaeologist, historian, and genealogist who was particularly interested in early Norse and Irish explorations and the earliest history of Connecticut. Correspondence, notes and a valuable (unlisted) group of maps and atlases.
Goslee Family Papers, 1795-1905 (RG 069:083)
Family members represented include Asa, Ira, and George Goslee, farmers of Glastonbury, Conn. and others. Accounts, deeds, notes, receipts, court and estate papers, correspondence.
Goslee (William S.) Papers, 1815-1892 (RG 069:024)
William S. Goslee (b. 1832) was a lawyer from Glastonbury, Conn. Papers pertain to town and church affairs, Republican politics, the Wethersfield-Glastonbury boundary case (1873), and the Hartford-East Hartford toll bridge (clippings), as well as private land titles, probates and mortgages, and papers of George O. Sumner , 1815-1845.
Grand Army of the
Republic, 1862-1938 (RG 113)
The Grand Army of the Republic (GAR) was established in 1866 by a former Army surgeon and held its first national meeting that same year. Its membership consisted of Union veterans of the Civil War. The GAR evolved from local veteran groups. The Connecticut GAR began with the United Service Club. In 1867, this Club was initiated into the Grand Army of the Republic, and Post #1, located in Norwich, was formed in February 1867. The GAR was concerned with veteran benefits and was actively involved in establishing soldiers’ homes, making provisions for soldiers’ graves, and lobbying for pension benefits. It proved to be an effective pressure group and exerted significant influence in the political arena. Membership in the organization reached its highest point in 1890, when its numbers reached over 400,000. In 1949, however, with almost all its members deceased, the GAR held its last national meeting. The decision was made to disband the organization after its last member died in 1956. Records of the Department of Connecticut include general orders and circulars, correspondence, financial records, annual reports, post lists, membership lists, music, records relating to courts martial of GAR members, and scrapbooks. In addition, the collection includes records created by various GAR posts throughout Connecticut.
Grant (Roswell) Papers, 1735-1899 (RG 069:053)
Roswell Grant was a justice of the peace and school district treasurer of East Windsor, Conn. Also represented are is father, Ebenezer Grant (1706-1797), a merchant, and other family members. Justice court, school, and business papers.
Hamilton and Knapp Families Collection, 1746-1924 (RG
Family papers of the Hamilton and Knapp families of the Danbury, Conn. area, including deeds, sketch maps, correspondence, check stubs, school report cards and Civil War letters.
Family Letters, 1797-2011, bulk 1830-1875 (RG 069:157)
Letters between various members of the Aaron Hand Family mostly regarding family matters. Writers include Bayard Epenetus Hand, Aaron Hicks Hand and his wife Elizabeth Coit Boswell Hand, Isaac Platt Hand, and Nancy Fanning Boswell, Elizabeth's stepmother. Elizabeth Coit Boswell Hand was originally from Norwich, Conn.
Hart (Luther) Sermons, 1811-1833 (RG 069:031)
Rev. Luther Hart (1783-1834) was a minister in Plymouth, Conn. Manuscript sermons.
Hartford Circus Fire Private Records, 1944 (RG
Photographs, memorabilia, legal documents from an attorney who represented some of the victims, private doctors files and other records relating to the circus fire and its aftermath.
Guard, 1861-1917 (RG 124)
The Hartford City Guard was an Independent Company from January 8 to September 11, 1861. It then became Artillery Company A, 1st Regiment, Connecticut Militia, organizing under the captaincy of Charles H. Prentice. In 1863 it became an infantry company. Some Hartford City Guard officers joined the volunteer forces in the Civil War. The company was designated Company A, 4th Regiment, Connecticut Volunteers on May 16, 1861. Afterwards, it changed to First Connecticut Heavy Artillery. On August 18, 1865, it became Battery D, Light Artillery, Connecticut National Guard, attached to the 1st Regiment. It was then attached to the 3rd Regiment from August 8 1867 to August 1, 1871. In 1871, it became Company F of the 1st Regiment, and it remains so today. The records consist of applications for membership, constitution and by-laws, contracts and agreements, financial records, minutes of meetings, special orders, and other similar materials.
Hartford City Guard
Veteran Association, 1861-1925 (RG 118)
The Veteran Association of the Hartford City Guard was organized on November 26, 1867. It was composed of those persons who were active or honorary members of the Hartford City Guard prior to July 5, 1865. The Association’s main objective was social with the intention “to keep alive old and pleasant memories and perpetuation of recollections of the old Company.” Each year they held a reunion on the second Wednesday of January. The first reunion was held on January 8, 1868. At their 50th reunion held in 1917, it was agreed that it should be the last reunion, and the records of the organization were deposited in the State Library. The records consist of a constitution and by-laws, membership rolls, historical sketches, reports of reunions, correspondence, financial records, photographs, and ephemera. For records related to the Company, see Hartford City Guard Records (RG 124).
Hartford Colony of the National Society of New England Women,
1934-1979 (RG 104)
Mrs. Clarence F.R. Jenne, who also served as the organization’s first president, organized the Hartford Colony of the National Society of New England Women January 1, 1921. The object of the Society was to bring together in social relations, women of New England ancestry to engage in educational, patriotic, civic, and philanthropic work. Materials include annual reports, meeting minutes, history of the Hartford Colony, scrapbooks, addresses and pamphlets.
Society, 1897-1968 (RG 141)
The Hartford Dental Society was formed in 1897 to “promote a more friendly feeling among the profession in Hartford and the immediate vicinity.” The records include minutes of meetings, notices of meetings, treasurer’s records, and stenographic notes of a 1933 post graduate course on oral diagnosis.
Club, 1896-1923 (RG 107)
The Motherhood Club of Hartford was organized in 1896 by a group of young mothers “so burdened with the responsibilities of their lot that they chose to give their Club life to child problems rather than literary or social pleasures.” The Club engaged in various philanthropic, educational, and fund-raising activities and had a membership of 200. In was incorporated in 1917 and in 1921 the name was changed to the Hartford Woman’s Club. A majority of the records document the history of the Motherhood Club and include meeting minutes, annual reports, historical sketches, financial reports, publications, newspaper clippings, and photographs.
Hawkins (Minnie) and Raymond Wooster papers, 1843-1938
Letters received by Minnie Hawkins and Raymond Wooster, of Southbury and Oxford, Conn., and newspaper clippings, poems, cards, tax receipts, deeds, insurance policies, bank statements, will of Mary Hawkins, account book, diaries, etc.
Healey (Kent T.) Papers, 1933-1963 (RG 069:016)
Kent T. Healey (b. 1902) was a transportation expert and consultant to State agencies on utilities and transportation planning and organization.
Hickmott (William J. , Jr.) Collection, 1905-1917
Automobile mileage and use logs documenting Mr. Hickmott's travels by motor car.
Hofer (Carl and Herbert) Collection, 1917-1918 (RG
Correspondence between the Hofer brothers and their mother during their active duty in World War I.
Hohenthal (Emil L.G. ) Papers, circa 1910-1930 (RG
Emil L.G. Hohenthal (1864-1928) was a Connecticut resident, temperance and prohibition worker, and local Draft Board Chairman. Collected posters, photographs, newspapers and documents.
Holmes (Charles Edward Latimer) Papers, 1860-1884 (RG
Poems and other writings of Col. Holmes (1832-1884) on Civil War and patriotic themes, with a few business and personal papers and memorabilia.
Hubbard (Joab) Papers, 1829-1850 (RG 069:084)
Joab Hubbard, along with his son Joab H. Hubbard were merchants of Wintonbury (Bloomfield), Conn. Contract, 1829, between Joab Hubbard, Joab H. Hubbard, and Ammi R. Palmer; account books, 1830-1836; bills and receipts, 1830-1850; correspondence, 1829-1837; order, 1829-1837.
Hunt (Chester) Papers, 1782-1881 (RG 069:079)
Chester Hunt (1789-1869) of Windham, Conn. was a physician, justice of the peace, deputy sheriff, church and school official, and administrator of estates. Correspondence, accounts, writs, court orders and other materials.
Jarvis Family papers, 1756-1811 (RG 069:022)
Family members include James Jarvis of Boston and New York and Benjamin Jarvis of St. Eustatia, West Indies, among others. Accounts, correspondence and letter books pertaining to trade and shipping between Boston and New York and the West Indies and Europe.
John Gray and Company,
Lisbon, Connecticut, 1819-1831 (RG 136)
John Gray and Company appears to have operated a general store and cotton factory in Lisbon, Connecticut. The records consist of account books, a cashbook, daybooks, ledgers, letter books, check stubs, and time books.
John Wyse Company papers, 1820-1864 (RG 069:057)
John Wyse (1790-1870) was a Middletown, Conn. lumber merchant. Bills, receipts, invoices, bills of lading, orders, correspondence.
Johnson (Hazel A.) Connecticut Official Publications
File, 1755-1800 (RG 069:077)
Card lists of state publications, as shown by bills for printing: material for an enlargement of A.C. Bate's similar list, 1774-1788, published in 1917. New London printed items are not included.
Judd (Edwin D.) Papers, 1861-1879 (RG 069:063)
Major Edwin D. Judd was a Civil War military and Reconstruction paymaster, especially in Georgia and Texas. Letter books, 1863-1875, incoming letters, 1867-1878, vouchers, 1861-1879, accounts current, check stubs, property accounts, and bank books.
Kilbourn (Dwight C.) Collection, 1671-1921 (RG
Dwight C. Kilbourn (1837-1914) was a Litchfield, Conn. lawyer. Correspondence and papers, plus collected material on Connecticut history and genealogy, Litchfield County bar and courts, John Brown Association, Roger Minott Sherman.
King's Daughters and
Sons, Connecticut Branch, International Order of the, 1892-1968 (RG 111)
An “international, interdenominational, inter-racial [sic] organization for development of spiritual life and stimulation of Christian activities,” the Connecticut Branch is composed of a number of local “circles” which met periodically. These circles conducted various social services including visiting the homebound and aged, reading to the blind, and fundraising for the needy. The organization also supervised various youth groups who engaged in similar social activities. The records in this collection were created by the state organization and include meeting minutes, membership rolls, scrapbooks, financial records, reports, and correspondence.
Kinney (Sara Thomson ) Collection, 1673-1922 (RG
Correspondence, photographs, autographs, pressed flowers and other materials pertaining to Connecticut history, prominent American and European political and literary figures, the Connecticut Indian Association, etc.
Larned (Ellen Douglas) Papers, 1744-1911 (RG
Ellen Douglas Larned (1825-1912) was a Connecticut historian and genealogist. Correspondence, notes, drafts, and collected documents and manuscripts relating especially to Windham, Woodstock, and Thompson.
League of Nations
Association, Connecticut Branch, 1923-1944 (RG 102)
The national organization of the League of Nations [Non-Partisan] Association was formed in October 1922 to promote world peace, educate the public about the League, and mobilize support for U.S. entrance into the League. The Connecticut Branch of the Association first met in New Haven in December 1924. It organized World Court committees, ran a Speakers' Bureau, planned meetings for anniversaries of the League and annual meetings of the Branch, many of which were held on the Yale University campus. It also promoted Model Assemblies, sponsored a competitive exam contest in high schools, worked with the Connecticut Council on International Relations and the National Peace Conference, and distributed publications of these and other organizations, including the Carnegie Endowment for International Peace, and the National Committee for the International Labor Organization. The collection includes administrative files, petitions, and public relations and educational materials.
Long (Zelotes) Papers, 1800-1835 (RG 069:029)
Zelotes Long was a merchant from Coventry, Conn. Letters, bills, receipts, estate inventories, and assessment forms with property descriptions, 1820.
Longo (Joseph S.) Papers, 1932-1996 (RG 069:151)
Joseph S. Longo (1914-1993) served as a Justice of the Connecticut Supreme Court from 1975 to 1979. Includes personal and professional papers, photographs, and awards, certificates, and diplomas.
Loomis (Hiram G. and Frank W.) Collection,
1773-1913 (RG 069:039)
Hiram G. and Frank W. Loomis were surveyors and civil engineers in the Hartford, Conn. area. Also represented is Nathaniel Goodwin (1782-1855), surveyor, engineer, probate judge, estate administrator, and genealogist. Surveys, maps, field notebooks, deeds, leases, land records, wills, estate records, genealogical materials.
Lorenz (William Albert) Collection, circa 1914-1930 (RG 069:017)
Photographs and autographs of prominent persons of the World War I period, with correspondence, plates, negatives, cuts and clippings. Includes three large indexed volumes.
Lowell (James Belden) Papers, 1927-1953
James Belden Lowell (1904-1974) was a Republican political leader, State government official, and State Senator. Correspondence, campaign material, notes and memoranda, principally as Executive Assistant to Governor Raymond Baldwin and Finance and Control Commissioner, 1939-1951.
Diaries, 1863-1869 (RG 069:163)
Richard (McGee) Magee was a volunteer soldier in Company K of the 17th Regiment Connecticut Volunteer Infantry during the Civil War. The collection includes five day-to-day diaries and an article describing his heroic actions at the siege of Fort Wagner and Sumter.
Maxim (Hiram Percy) Collection, 1884-1961 (RG 069:012)
Hiram Percy Maxim (1869-1936) was an inventor, engineer, designer, and writer. He was association with the Maxim silencer, Selden auto, American Radio Play League, Amateur Cinema League, etc. Correspondence, photographs, drawings, sketches, workbooks, and scrapbooks pertaining to Maxim, his work, and that of his father, Sir Hiram Stevens Maxim.
McConaughy (James L.) Papers, 1888-1966, bulk 1888-1948 (RG 069:146)
James L. McConaughy was President of Wesleyan University, 1925-1943, and Governor of the State of Connecticut, 1947 until his death on March 7, 1948. Included in his papers are correspondence,
speeches, photographs, and the scrapbook he kept while attending Yale from 1905-1909.
McLean (Calvin Barber) Sermon Collection, 1797-1913
Rev. Calvin B. McLean (circa 1876-1904) was a minister from Long Ridge (Stamford) and Salem, Conn. Drafts, notes, manuscript copies of sermons, probably collected by McLean. Some were probably written by him and others by his grandfather, Rev. Allen McLean of Simsbury, Conn.
McLean (Charlotte Ellen) Memorial Collection, circa 1882
Pencil sketches, watercolors, oil paintings of wildflowers, old houses and Connecticut scenes, done by Miss Charlotte Ellen McLean (b. circa 1835).
McLean Family Papers, 1805-circa 1892, bulk 1819-1833 (RG 069:153)
Correspondence and a notebook of the Francis McLean family of Vernon, Conn.
McMahon (John J.) Papers, 1901-1954, bulk 1925-1926 (RG 069:148)
John J. McMahon (1875-1958) served as a volunteer in the First Regiment Infantry Connecticut National Guard, the Spanish-American War, and retired as a Colonel from the Connecticut National Guard on November 23, 1931. He was an officer and member in the First Connecticut Volunteer Infantry Veteran Association, Spanish-American War - 1898 and the Department of Connecticut United Spanish War Veterans. McMahon was elected to the Hartford Board of Education from 1911-1916, elected City Alderman from Hartford's seventh ward from 1922-1926, and worked as an architect in Hartford from 1893-1958.
Metcalf (Martin Van Buren) and Alvira Metcalf
collection, circa 1840s-1862 (RG 069:114)
Portrait, diaries and journals from the Civil War era, business invoices, family correspondence, clippings and miscellaneous items relating to the Metcalf family.
Mexican Claims Collection, 1858-1871 (RG 069:045)
Correspondence and other material relating to claims against Mexico before the United States and Mexican Claims Commission on behalf of the State Bank of Hartford, Sanderson Bros. and Co., Sharps Rifle Manufacturing Col, James T. Ames, and others.
Military Order of
Foreign Wars, 1901-1921 (RG 109)
The Military Order of Foreign Wars of the United States is the oldest veterans’ and hereditary association in the nation, with a membership that includes officers and their hereditary descendants from all of the Armed Services. It began as the Military and Naval Order of the United States, organized in December 1894 in New York City. Membership in the Order was originally limited to veterans (and their descendants) of the Revolutionary War, the War of 1812, and the Mexican War. In April 1895, the name of the Order was officially changed to its present name. In 1969, membership was extended to veterans and their descendants who served during a foreign war or expedition and to those who served in an enlisted status and were later commissioned. The Connecticut Commandery was formed in February 1896. Records include financial records, membership certificates, campaign ribbons, and photographs.
[History] Club, 1887-1938 (RG 110)
The Monday Afternoon Club was organized on January 4, 1886. The main objective of the society was “the study of history-not general nor in consecutive course, but the selection of certain periods determined by vote of members.” Records include meeting minutes, correspondence, memorials to deceased members, and a short history of the group’s 50th anniversary (1936).
Montgomery (Hugh) and Anna Roberts Correspondence, 1865 (RG 069:144)
Correspondence between Hugh Montgomery and Anna Roberts during their courtship from March to October 1865. The content of the letters is varied and includes topics such as religion, family, the challenges of being a minister and being apart from one another, and life in the Northeast. Hugh Montgomery was a Methodist minister and temperance advocate.
Moore (Kenneth) Colt Revolver Research Notes,
1870-1900 (RG 069:102)
Photocopies of documents concerning distribution of all Colt revolvers. Also includes some notes and correspondence.
Morgan (Andrew M.) Civil War Papers, 1861-1871 (RG
Andrew M. Morgan of Stonington, Conn. was an officer in the 8th Regiment, Conn. Volunteer Infantry, during the Civil War. Certifications, correspondence, "descriptive lists," muster rolls, receipts, reports, requisitions and vouchers of 8th Regt. Conn. Volunteer Infantry, Companies F and G.
Morgan (Daniel Nash) Papers, 1889-1921 (RG 069:041)
Daniel Nash Morgan (1844-1931) was a merchant from Bridgeport, Conn., member of the Connecticut General Assembly, and Treasurer of the United States. Letter books, 1882-1901, and scrapbooks, 1899-1921, containing letters, diary, notes, clippings.
Morris (John Moses) Papers, 1856-1889 (RG 069:004)
Rev. John Moses Morris (1837-1889) was a minister, chaplain, editor, legislative clerk in Connecticut, Washington, D.C., and Charleston, S.C. Diaries, notes, correspondence, clippings, on church history and religious subjects, the Civil War and the Connecticut General Assembly.
Municipal Art Society
of Hartford, 1904-1940 (RG 132)
The Municipal Art Society of Hartford was organized on June 14, 1904 in the studio of Charles Noel Flagg. Its aim was to “be of service in preserving and enhancing the beauty of our magnificent city.” The Society was fairly active during World War I but little appears to have been done after 1920. A final meeting in June 1933 decided not to disband but nevertheless made arrangements for liquidating the accounts and transferring the Society’s records to the Connecticut State Library. The records include a constitution, minutes of meetings, reports, membership lists, accounts, correspondence, and printed materials.
Newcomb (Frank Turner) Papers, 1890-1917 (RG
Frank Turner Newcomb (1861-1924) was a banker, farmer, and prominent citizen of Tolland, Conn. He served for varying terms as notary public, county treasurer, town clerk and treasurer, school visitor, treasurer of the school deposit fund, postmaster, representative in the Connecticut General Assembly, and chairman of the Democratic Town Committee. Legal papers, memorandum book, printer materials, receipts and receipted bills, correspondence, paid notes, and statements from his agent referring to property in Hartford, Conn.
Noble (William H. and Henrietta) Pension Applications,
1870-1908 (RG 069:050)
General Noble and his daughter, Henrietta, of Bridgeport, Conn. acted as agents to assist applicants for United States pensions arising from service in the Revolution, the Civil War, and the Spanish-American War.
Welfare Club, 1914-1959 (RG 115)
Originally organized as the Mothers Neighborhood Circle, it became the Northwest Child Welfare Club in 1936. The Club attempted to “promote child welfare in home, school, church and community . . . raise standards of home life. . . secure adequate laws for the care and protection of women and children.” In 1959, they agreed to disband, feeling their work had been successfully taken over by private organizations such as the Parent Teacher Association (PTA), and the state in the form of aid to dependent children and workmen’s compensation. Records include meeting minutes, financial records, directories and programs, and a card file of member names and addresses.
Norton (Lewis and Henry) Papers, 1806-1890 (RG
Lewis M. Norton was County Surveyor, Litchfield County, Conn.. His son Henry Norton, a geologist, was also County Surveyor, as well as Justice of the Peace in Goshen, Conn. Survey maps, plans, deeds, notebooks of survey minutes, etc. concerning land surveys in Goshen and other Litchfield County towns, with a few legal papers.
Norton (Milo Leon) Papers, circa 1860-1926 (RG
Milo Leon Norton was a resident of Bristol, Conn. Drafts of historical, biographical, and religious writings of Mr. Norton, together with journals, photograph, correspondence, newspaper clippings and other materials pertaining to the history of Bristol, the affairs of the United Order of Pilgrim Fathers, etc.
Norton (Reuben Smith) Papers, 1775-1849 (RG
Reuben Smith Norton (circa 1737-1808) was a merchant in Farmington and Simsbury, Conn. and New York City, with Elias Cowles. Account books, bills, orders, receipts. Also accounts, correspondence and receipts, 1775-1882 of Seth Norton "on his majesty's service" in Oyster Bay and commissary of forage in Charlestown, and surveyors notebooks on Farmington properties and highways, 1802-1849.
Norwich Free Academy Collection, 1697-1941 (RG
Manuscripts, books, and pamphlets dealing with Connecticut and Norwich area history. Manuscripts include accounts, estate inventories, and letters (William A. Buckingham, Samuel Huntington, Theodore Roosevelt, Benjamin Giles, Samuel Loudon and others).
Bradford) Collection, 1849-1938 (RG 069:019)
James Bradford Olcott (1830-1910) was a horticulturist and writer from Manchester, Conn. Correspondence, diaries, photographs, plat books of the Manchester Turf Garden, file of agricultural articles from the Hartford Courant by Olcott, letters from a trip around Cape Horn and life in Sacramento, California.
Owens Machine Gun
Veterans Association, 1916-1970 (RG 122)
The Association was organized in 1919, composed of men who had served in the Machine Gun Company of the First Connecticut Infantry, the first American machine gun company. It operated under various names until 1926 when it was named in honor of Michael and John Owens, both members of the company. The association decorated the graves of deceased members on Memorial Day and held annual meetings until it disbanded in 1970. In 1942, a Machine Gun Company monument was erected in Soldiers Field, in Wilson (a section of Windsor), Connecticut. The records include by-laws, minutes of meetings, obituaries, photographs, and printed materials.
Palmer (Jonathan , Jr.) Papers,
1793-1815 (RG 069:087)
Jonathan Palmer, Jr. (1766-1815) was a deputy sheriff and tax collector of Windsor, Conn. Writs, accounts, receipts, orders, etc., with some pertaining to the estate of his father, Jonathan Palmer (1740-1810).
People for Question
#1, 1974 (RG 133)
People for Question #1 was a “Political Committee” registered with the office of the Secretary of the State in 1974. Its purpose was to promote passage by state voters of a constitutional amendment prohibiting discrimination on account of sex. The State Chairperson was Helen Z. Pearl. The records consist primarily of campaign literature and newspaper clippings. Helen Z. Pearl. The records consist primarily of campaign literature and newspaper clippings.
Phelps (Jeffrey Orson) Papers, 1813-1904 (RG
Jeffrey Orson Phelps (1791-1879) was a civil engineer, surveyor, legislator, and judge of Simsbury, Conn. Also represented are his son, Jeffrey Orson Phelps, Jr. (1820-1899), and possibly a grandson (1858-es.
Society, 1820-1932 (RG 112)
The Plainfield Historical Society was established in January 1916 in the Town Clerk’s Office, Central Village. Materials transferred to the State Library include records generated by the Society as well as historical materials collected by the Society. Records created by the Society include correspondence, financial records, reports, scrapbooks, historical sketch of the town of Plainfield, essays submitted for an essay contest, and materials documenting the Society’s reorganization in 1916-1917. Materials collected by the Society include records of North Meeting House School District (1821-31), the Moosup School District (1831-78), the Central School District (1829-73), the Plainfield School Society Treasurer’s records (1833-71), and some anonymous account books.
Platt (Orville H.) Papers, 1880-1950 (RG 069:011)
Orville H. Platt (1827-1905) was a lawyer, Connecticut Secretary of the State, and United States Senator. Correspondence and other papers, scrapbooks and clippings of Oliver H. Platt, Mrs. Platt, and Kathleen Lawler, Secretary to Senator Platt. Correspondents include Theodore Roosevelt, Albert J. Beveridge, and Alice M. Robertson.
Porter (Solomon) Papers, 1803-1849 (RG 069:058)
Solomon Porter was a Hartford, Conn. grocer, landowner, and capitalist. Accounts, correspondence, and inventories.
Preston (Edward V.) Papers, 1861-1865 (RG 069:064)
Major Edward V. Preston was a Civil War military paymaster and quartermaster. Payrolls, muster rolls, vouchers, abstracts of payments received and made, related published items.
Ribicoff (Abraham) Newspaper Clipping Collection,
1954-1979 (RG 069:059)
Clipping service materials covering Mr. Ribicoff's election and term as Governor. Microfilm of scrapbooks containing mounted clippings, January 1963-April 1979, 20 rolls, and "Personality news", November-December 1958 and December 1960-January 1961.
Rogers (Henry Wade) and Emma Winner Rogers collection,
1891-1920 (RG 069:104)
Photocopies of original materials located at the Northwestern University Archives.
Royce (Rice) and Phelps Family papers (RG 069:028)
Lucien Merrian Royce (1838-1907) was a pharmacist nd Civil War surgeon's steward. Correspondence, diaries, related materials of Lucien Merriam Royce, 1853-1907. Also deeds and other papers (with calendar) pertaining to the Royce (Rice) family of Farmington and Bristol, Conn. and the Atwater, Phelps and other families of Windsor, Conn.
(Richard F.) Collection, 1824-1996, bulk 1975-1988 (RG 069:135)
Richard F. Schneller was a State Senator for the 20th District from 1975-1984, worked on the 1986 O'Neill gubernatorial campaign as well as the 1984 Mondale presidential campaign and was the chairperson of the Governor's Building Construction Advisory Committee from 1987-1988.
Second Church of
Christ, Scientist (Hartford), 1912-2002 (RG 070:081)
The Second Church of Christ Scientist Hartford, was organized in 1907 by 11 members of The Mother Church. The first service was held on an upper floor at 64 Pearl Street, and as the congregation grew, services were moved twice to other sites. The church building at the corner of Lafayette and Russ Streets held its first service January 4, 1925. A diminished membership prompted the congregation the to sell the church building to the State of Connecticut in 2008.
Seichter (Marilyn P.A.) Collection, 1945-2002, bulk 1959-1994 (RG 069:133)
Marilyn P.A. Seichter (1945-2002), the first woman to graduate from the University of Connecticut School of Law, specialized in the fields of women's rights and family law. She served as the first women president of the Connecticut Bar Association among other posts.
Selden (Richard Ely) Papers, 1784-1867 (RG 069:086)
Richard Ely Selden (1797-1868) was State Senator and Justice of the Peace from Lyme, Conn. Includes material from his father, Richard Ely Selden, Sr. (1759-1848) and Selden Chapman, merchant and ship owner of Hartford, Conn.
Sheffield (Anna D.) Old Saybrook Collection, 1834-1948
Anna D. Sheffield was born in 1885. Draft of articles related to Old Saybrook, Saybrook, Lyme and nearby towns in Connecticut, with deeds, invitations, letters, clippings, photographs and memorabilia.
Smith (Alonzo E.) Diaries, 1868-1890 (RG 069:067)
Alonzo E. Smith (1835-1912) was a carpenter who worked in Cheshire, Conn. and vicinity, and also served as Cheshire selectman, representative in the Connecticut General Assembly, Register of Voters, and Judge of Probate.
Smith (Truman) Papers, 1811-2009, bulk 1811-1889 (RG 069:150)
Truman Smith was a lawyer, Connecticut Legislator (1831-1832, 1834), US Representative (1838-1843, 1845-1849), and US Senator (1849-1854) from Stamford, Connecticut. Included in his papers are correspondence, writings, publications, legal cases, speeches, and spiritual writings.
Special Libraries Association, Connecticut Valley Chapter Records, 1934-1987 (RG 163)
The Special Library Association was founded in 1909 in an attempt to bring together librarians whose jobs had actually created a new kind of librarianship, one geared to meet the needs of specialized situations. These records are from the Connecticut Valley Chapter.
Papers, 1892-1944 (RG 069:100)
The papers consist of material pertaining to Mathias Spiess who was an amateur historian with an interest in Connecticut Indians and the town of Manchester. Spiess in 1936 served as a Republican selectman and in 1937 and 1938 was a police commissioner for the town of Manchester. Included in the papers are correspondence, subject files, writings, and maps.
State Library and Supreme Court Club, 1971-1987 (RG 128:002)
The State Library and Supreme Court Club formed in 1951 as a successor to the Ex Libris Club. It disbanded in 1986.
See also, Ex Libris Club of the Connecticut State Library, 1912-1951 (RG 128:001)
Baker) Collection of World War II Letters, 1927-1964, bulk 1941-1947 (RG
The collection consists primarily of correspondence between Ruth Baker Stephan and military service members of St. Paul’s United Methodist Church of Hartford during World War II. Photographs, publications, and Stephan’s personal papers are also included.
Taintor (Charles and John) Papers, 1771-1827 (RG
Charles and John Taintor were merchants of Windham, Conn. Charles was also U.S. Collector of Revenue for the seventh district, which apparently consisted of Windham and Tolland Counties. Account books and journals, 1787-1819, land lists, tax receipt stubs for mechanics, manufacturers, distillers, carriage owners, retailers, with related forms, instructions, correspondence, 1813-1817.
Pamphlet Collection, Connecticut, 1934-1935 (RG 166:004)
Connecticut tercentenary celebrations by the various towns of the state. Includes programs, bulletins, and exhibit catalogs and other ephemera.
Thompson Raceway, 1952-1967 (RG 148)
The Thompson Raceway was the first private road racing course built and operated in the United States. Prior to its construction, all sports car road races had been conducted either on public highways or on airport runways. The Thompson Raceway was opened in 1952, just prior to the ban of racing on public roads, and was used for road racing until 1967. Now called the Thompson International Speedway, it has been rebuilt as an oval and is used for occasional NASCAR events. The collection includes administrative files, publicity materials, entry lists, race information, financial records, scrapbooks and photographs.
Tolland Banks, 1828-1920 (RG 152)
The Tolland County Bank was established August 4, 1826, at a meeting of leading citizens. They obtained a charter and the bank opened for business on March 18, 1829. In 1865, the bank obtained a charter as the Tolland County National Bank. It went out of business in 1885. The premises, furniture and fixtures were sold in 1886 to the Savings Bank of Tolland, which had been chartered in 1841, and had operated since that date in the same building and often with the same officers as the commercial bank. These records were among the contents of ten to fifteen burlap bags received by the State Library from an unknown source in 1935. Subsequent examination revealed the collection also contains Tolland town records, Tolland county records, and a few Farmington town papers. Also discovered were personal files of Frank T. Newcomb, who served as a cashier and treasurer of both banks, town clerk, town treasurer, and county treasurer. The collection includes bills and receipts, promissory notes, quarterly bank statements, correspondence, deeds and mortgages, and lists of subscribers.
Tolland County Mutual
Fire Insurance Company, 1829-1906 (RG 129)
The Tolland County Mutual Fire Insurance Company was chartered in 1828 with John Fitch as its first president. It ceased to exist in 1906 when, according to the Connecticut Insurance Commissioner’s Report, it transacted no business and all of its policies had expired. The collection contains annual statements, journals and ledgers, a register of policies, insurance policies, treasurer’s accounts, and other financial records.
Toucey (Isaac) papers, 1831-1870 (RG 069:062)
Isaac Toucey (1796-1869) was a Hartford, Conn. lawyer, U.S. Representative, Governor of Connecticut, 1846-1847, U.S. Senator, and Secretary of the Navy. Notes, drafts and copies of documents pertaining to legal cases.
Treadwell (John) Papers, 1706-1872 (RG 069:025)
John Treadwell (1745-1823) was a probate judge in Farmington, Conn., Lieutenant Governor and Governor of Connecticut. Correspondence, accounts, military papers and records of Connecticut Missionary Society. Also material on the 1835 riots in Farmington, the narrow gauge railroad, the Corlandt Van Rensselaer estate, the Cowles family, and Farmington deeds, 1706-1843.
Hartford Connecticut, 1801-1862 (RG 135)
The Union Company was incorporated in 1800 to clear a channel in the Connecticut River from Hartford to Long Island Sound. After the channel was cleared, the Company was allowed to collect tolls from vessels using the river. Included are records of directors’ meetings, accounts, financial records, checkbook stubs, stock book ledgers, and receipt books.
United Nations Day
Papers, 1967-1969 (RG 126)
October 24, 1967 was proclaimed United Nations Day by President Lyndon B. Johnson. This marked the twenty-second anniversary observance of U.N. Day. In his proclamation, the president called on all American citizens to engage in an appropriate observance of the event. Governor John Dempsey appointed Dr. Frederick W. Lowe, President of Manchester Community College, to serve as U.N. Day Chairman for Connecticut. This collection contains materials that document Connecticut’s U.N. Day celebrations under Lowe. Materials include correspondence, photographs, publicity leaflets and related materials.
United States Navy
League, 1917-1918 (RG 137)
On July 4, 1915, a group of women in Washington, D.C. formed the Women’s Section of the Navy League. The League hoped to band women of various philosophical backgrounds under the banner of “Patriotism, Americanism, and National Defense.” Twenty-five members of the Women’s Section in any town could organize a chapter, with chapters being named for a town, patriotic event or historic place, or historical character no longer living. The materials in this record group were created by the Comforts Committee of the Admiral Bunce Section of the Navy League. The function of a Comforts Committee was to knit woolen garments for men serving in the United States Navy. Materials included correspondence, newspaper clippings, and ledgers.
University of Connecticut. Center for Oral History, 1980-1981 (RG 153)
The Center for Oral History at the University of Connecticut was established as the Oral History Project in 1968. It was designated a Center by the University’s Board of Trustees in 1981. The Center originates, sponsors, and supports projects that emphasize Connecticut’s history and development. The records consist of transcripts of twenty-one oral history interviews conducted by the Center for Oral History at the University of Connecticut on the subject, “The Emergence of Political Women in Connecticut: 1920-1945.” The transcripts were transferred to the State Library in 1982.
Collection, 1718-1921 (RG 069:052)
Wedworth Wadsworth (1782-1860) was a member of the Connecticut General Assembly from Durham, Conn. Also represented in the collection are his sons Wedworth (1811-1876), William (circa 1817-1870), a town clerk and justice of the peace, James (1819-1891) and James' son Wedworth (1846-1926), who was a painter, art teacher, and writer.
War Veterans Personal Papers and Organizational
Records, 1914-1920 (RG 069:107)
Personal recollections, correspondence, micrologies and organization records of Connecticut veterans.
Papers, 1917-1942 (RG 069:145)
Corporal Charles F. Watrous was a World War I veteran who served in the American Expeditionary Forces in France.
Welles (Sallie Richard Hamilton) Family Papers ,
1810-1941 (RG 069:054)
Sallie Richard Hamilton Welles was a resident of Hartford, Conn. Diaries, 1923-1941, correspondence, scrapbooks, photographs, genealogical materials pertaining to the Welles, Rogers, Perry, and Smith families.
Welles (Samuel) Papers, 1774-1827 (RG 069:051)
Samuel Welles of Glastonbury, Conn. was a merchant, ship owner, trader, and town, church, and school official business papers and Glastonbury town tax lists, 1758, 1798-1803, and assessment records, 1814.
Wellesley Club of
Hartford, 1914-1978 (RG 151)
The Wellesley Club of Hartford was organized in 1894. Its purpose is “exclusively charitable and educational, particularly to advance the interests and promote the welfare of Wellesley College.” There are four classes of members, (active, life, associate, and honorary), but only active and life members may vote and serve on the board of directors. Included in the records are minutes of meetings, reports, correspondence, constitution and by-laws, reminiscences, and printed pamphlets.
Wells (Horace) Collection, undated (RG 069:113)
Materials about Horace Wells' life and his experiments regarding anesthesia rather than documents by him.
Wells (Sarah Gaylord) Collection, 1791-1809 (RG
Aaron Gaylord of Hartford, Conn. was a merchant and ship owner. Account books, ledgers and related papers pertaining to the operation of various brigs, sloops, and schooners.
Wessel (Jennie E.) Collection, 1855, 1865, 1869-1899
Ledgers, journals, cash books, sales books, design books and related materials pertaining to jewelry manufacturing in New Britain, Conn.
Wheeler (Seth) Papers, 1836-1840 (RG 069:047)
Seth Wheeler was a clock wholesaler of Avon, Conn. Correspondence, bills of lading, licenses, accounts, receipts, peddlers' contracts.
Wheeler (Stephen C.) Papers, 1899-1919 (RG 069:030)
Stephen C. Wheeler was Chief of Police in Winsted, Conn. Personal papers and town records, including school enumeration (1899), tax abatements, receipts, insurance policies, constable's bonds.
Whitney (George Q.) Civil War Collection, 1861-1925
Photographs, correspondence, regimental records, clippings, diaries and biographical sketches pertaining to the 16th Connecticut Volunteer, Andersonville Prison, a proposed Andersonville monument, and a 1907 train trip to Andersonville by Connecticut survivors.
Whittlesey Family Papers, 1787-1891 (RG 069:038)
Family members include Harvey Whittlesey, former of Farmington, Conn., Abner Whittlesey (d. 1821), Roger N. Whittlesey (d. 1841), and Daniel Youngs, Probate Judge of Barkhamsted, Conn. Account books, business and personal correspondence, estate papers, and probate records.
Williams (Comfort) Correspondence, 1805-1822 (RG
Rev. Comfort Williams was a pastor of Wethersfield and Rocky Hill, Conn. and Rochester, N.Y. Letters between Williams and his cousin, Lucy Williams, whom he married in 1811, with a few sermons and three diaries of Lucy.
Windham County Historical Society, 1818-1840, bulk 1935-1940 (RG 105)
The Windham County Historical Society was founded in 1935 to encourage the study and collection of all types of material and information of historical value to Windham County. The collection contains materials that document the early formation of the Historical Society, including meeting minutes, correspondence, membership lists, newspaper clippings, publications, photographs and descriptions of old houses in Windham County, and copies of Green’s Connecticut Annual Register and United States Calendar.
Association, Connecticut, 1869-1921 (RG 101)
The Connecticut Woman Suffrage Association was organized at a meeting in Roberts’ Opera House, Hartford, October 28-29, 1869. The meeting, called by a group of community leaders including Isabella B. Hooker, John Hooker, Frances E. Burr, Catharine E. Beecher and Harriet B. Stowe, was addressed by such eminent people as Henry Ward Beecher, Elizabeth Cady Stanton, Susan B. Anthony, Julia Ward Howe, and William Lloyd Garrison. The Association carried on a spirited and energetic campaign to obtain the vote for women, first in school and local elections and then on a state and national level, working in collaboration with many other equal rights, equal franchise, and constitutional union groups. Its primary aim having been achieved with the ratification by Connecticut of the 19th Amendment on September 14, 1920, the Association voted to dissolve itself on June 3, 1921, offering its records to the State Archives. The collection includes records of meetings, membership and attendance registers, correspondence, reports, publications, and political and legislative campaign materials.
Connecticut Order of,
1937-1983 (RG 156)
In 1927, State Representative Julia Emery of Stamford formed the Connecticut Order of Women Legislators, the first in the nation. Its objectives were to promote a network and decide on priority legislation. In 1938, Ms. Emery led a movement to establish a national order. Today the OWL promotes a legislative agenda for the General Assembly. This group contains guest books, a list of female legislators in Connecticut, 1921-1945, state and national by-laws, group photographs, and 6 scrapbooks, 1937-1984.
Women Voters, Connecticut
League of, 1918-1957 (RG 106)
The League of Women Voters is an outgrowth of the suffragist movement. The organization was founded in 1920 only six months before the 19th amendment to the U.S. Constitution was ratified, giving women the right to vote. The League began as a “mighty political experiment” designed to help 20 million women carry out their new responsibilities as voters. It encouraged them to use their new power to participate in shaping public policy. The national organization soon stimulated the formation of state Leagues (Connecticut in 1921) that in turn developed local ones. Materials in the collection were created by the Connecticut League and include series of newspaper clipping scrapbooks, lists of activities, correspondence to senators and representatives, financial records, and reports from local Leagues.
Women's Clubs of
Connecticut, General Federation of, 1896-2012 (RG 142)
The General Federation of Women’s Clubs of Connecticut was formed on April 20, 1897. Its objective is to “bring the women’s clubs of the state into communication for intellectual culture, mutual help and social union, and to extend their influence in such matters as may properly come before them for improvements in homes and communities.” The records consist of executive committee minutes, press books, administrative files, presidential records and printed material.
Wood (William J.) Papers, 1857, 1867-1885 (RG 069:035)
William J. Wood (1836-1885) was Vice-President of Collins and Co., axe and tool manufacturers of Collinsville (Canton), Conn. Correspondence with Samuel W. Collins, a draft history of this company, photographs of Mr. Wood's home, passport of Frances P. Howe.
Woodruff (George Catlin) Papers, 1828-1908 (RG
George Catlin Woodruff (1805-1885) was an attorney and prominent citizen of Litchfield, Conn. He was also served as postmaster, justice of the peace, judge of probate, and state representative. Revolutionary War pension materials, justice files, financial papers, postal accounts, correspondence, legal briefs, estate papers.
Wright Family Papers, 1859-1864, 1895 (RG 069:106)
Correspondence, journal, and photograph documenting civilian and military life during the Civil War era.
Wyllys (Samuel) Papers, 1663-1728
A group of 88 court documents that include 6 cases of witchcraft (42 documents), 12 cases concerning assault and battery, theft, adultery and other crimes (35 documents), and 11 other documents related to prayers of confession and petition, lists of freemen, poor relief, taxes, and titles to Indian land.