TABLE OF CONTENTS
RG 079:017, State Park and Forest Commission
Inventory of Records
Finding aid prepared by Connecticut State Library staff.
Copyright © 2008 by the Connecticut State Library
In 1911 the General Assembly create a temporary, special State Park Commission per Public Acts chpt. 224 consisting of three members to consider the advisability of the State securing open spaces for the use of the public and to report to the next General Assembly a plan for organizing, acquiring and maintaining these open spaces. This Commission reported to the 1913 General Assembly of both the need and the possibilities of the acquisition of recreational areas.1 In 1913 the Assembly created a permanent State Park Commission per Public Acts chpt. 230 consisting of six members with the State Forester as ex-officio. The Commission was charged with "supervision of all lands acquired by the state, as public reservations, for the purpose of public recreation or the preservation of natural beauty or historic association, except such lands as may be palced by law in the charge and under the supervision of other commissions or officials. The commission also had the power to "acquire, maintain, and make available to the public open spaces for recreation, adn to act with local authorities."2
The Commission's first concern was the establishment of policies to determine the proper type of area to be included in the Connecticut State Park System. In 1914 the Commission hired its first employee, Albert M. Turner, who served as its Field Secretary. That same year the first purchase of land to provide open space for public was made consisting of five acres of salt marsh in Westport that became known as Sherwood Island State Park. Gifts played an important part of land acquisitions made by the Commission. In 1919 the Commission hired the first State Park Superintendent, Arthur V. Parker, whose responsibility was to develop and maintain the park system.3
In 1921 the name was changed to the State Park and Forest Commission per Public Acts chpt. 193. The new Commission now had the authority to appoint the State Forester.4 In 1971 the Commission was absorbed into the new Department of Environmental Protection.
See also the State Park and Forest Commission Agency History.
1Report of the State Park Commission, Hartford, Conn., 1913.
2Report of the State Park Commission, Hartford, Conn., 1914.
350th Anniversary, Connecticut State Park & Forest Commission, Hartford, Conn., 1963, 3-4
4Report of the State Park and Forest Commission to the Governor, For the Fiscal Term Ended June 30, 1922, Hartford, Conn., 1922.
Includes Minutes, 1913-1947; Correspondence from E. H. Wilkins, Treasurer, 1908-1916, Albert M. Turner, Field Secretary, 1916-1941, Austin F. Hawes, State Forester, 1923-1939, and Harley F. Roberts, President of the Black Rock Forest, Inc., 1920-1928; and Reports, 1913-1967, including Biennial Reports, 1913-1934.
Series 1. Meeting Minutes, 1913-1965
Series 2. Correspondence, 1908-1940, Accession: 1995-071
Series 3. Reports, 1913-1967, Accession: 1995-071
Restrictions on Access
These records are stored at an off-site facility and therefore may not be available on a same-day basis.
Restrictions on Use
See the Reproduction and Publications of State Library Collections policy.
RG 079:016, Deptartment of Environmental Protection: Natural Resources and Outdoor Recreation
Connecticut. State Park and Forest Commission
Hawes, Austin F. (Austin Foster), 1879-1962
Roberts, Harley F
Turner, Albert M
Wilkins, Edward H
Connecticut. State Park and Forest Commission -- Records and correspondence
Forests and forestry -- Connecticut
Parks -- Connecticut