TABLE OF CONTENTS
RG 089:037, Commissioners of Steamship Terminals
Inventory of Records
Finding aid prepared by Connecticut State Library staff.
Copyright © 2012 by the Connecticut State Library
In 1909 the Connecticut Rivers and Harbors Commission was appointed per resolution passed by the General Assembly on July 26. In 1911 the Rivers, Harbors and Bridges Commission was established per P.A. chpt. 105. The name was changed in 1939 to Commissioners of Steamship Terminals per 1939 Supp. to the General Statutes s.1059e. The Commissioners were empowered, in addition to general liaison assistance in the promotion of water transportation and port development throughout the state, specifically to acquire, own, construct, maintain and operate docks, piers, terminals, equipment, warehouses, etc. "or any other appropriate harbor facilities" in New London, Waterford, Groton, Stonington, Ledyard, Preston, Montville and Norwich. In October 1969 it merged into the new Department of Transportation becoming the Bureau of Waterways.
See also the Commissioners of Steamship Terminals Agency History.
Consists of one publication, Connecticut Shipping Terminal at New London (1915) from the time of the Rivers, Harbors and Bridges Commission and seven photographs showing the progress of hydraulic work from August to October 1915.
Restrictions on Access
Restrictions on Use
See the Reproduction and Publications of State Library Collections policy.
Connecticut. Commissioners of Steamship Terminals
Connecticut. Rivers, Harbors and Bridges Commission
Harbors -- Connecticut -- New London
Shipping -- Connecticut -- New London