|Course:||2: Acquiring Your Collections|
|Lesson:||Lesson 3: Appraisal--Deciding What Records to Acquire|
|Topic:||More About Riveroaks|
More About Riveroaks, continued
About the Town of Riveroaks
Riveroaks was founded in the early 18th century by the Podgamessqua Tribe, which used the area as its summer fishing grounds.
In the late 18th century, a small town developed around a natural pooling of the Hiltonia River; this area eventually was named Deepwater. In 1906, the town of Deepwater was officially incorporated as the City of Riveroaks.
By the early 20th century, the town had grown in prominence, both economically and politically. Five major factories were built between 1901 and 1916, including the J&M Tayson Luggage Co., and the town's population swelled to 27,000. However, the Great Depression hit Riveroaks and the Hiltonia Valley hard, and the growth in population slowed for the next five decades.
Recently Riveroaks has undergone a small revitalization. Passenger rail service was restored two years ago. An old mill and two abandoned factories have been renovated for new uses, including residential spaces that have attracted commuters from the nearby city of Hiltonia. The town's population currently is 41,000.