Connecticut State Library
West Hartford Public Library
Kent Memorial Library in Suffield
On November 28, 2005, the State Library approved nine construction grants for a total of $3,000,175 from state bonding funds. The following are descriptions of these grants:
- Hagaman Memorial Library in East Haven will redesign a 30-year-old circulation service desk and surrounding storage area in order to increase staff productivity, improve workflow, and enhance service to the disabled. Total project cost: $69,407. Grant: $23,135.
- Byram-Shubert Library, a branch library of the Greenwich Library, will construct a 4,875 square foot addition. The total square footage will be 10,275 square feet. The addition will expand the currently limited access to library programs, services, and technological resources. Total project cost: $4,049,522. Grant: $323,207 (added to previously awarded grants the total will be $500,000).
- Parkville Branch Library, a branch library of the Hartford Public Library, will construct a 1,500 square foot addition with a glass curtain wall. This will accommodate a much-needed extension to the children's area and will free up floor area in the current space for additional materials and seating, as well as a space for TAP and Homework Center activity. Total project cost: $ 1,600,000. Grant: $500,000.
- E. C. Scranton Memorial Library in Madison will construct a 26,600 square foot addition with a total square footage of 39,600. This addition will allow the whole library to expand computers, stacks, reading areas, and meeting rooms. Total project cost: $10,203.000. Grant: $500,000.
- The Licia & Mason Beekley Community Library in New Hartford will construct a 9,735 addition. The total square footage will be 18,935. Most of the addition is for meeting room space. Total project cost: $2,175,500. Grant : $500,000.
- Association of the Free Library and Reading Room of Rowayton, Inc. is a handicapped access, code compliance, remodeling, and energy conservation project. Total project cost: $431,500. Grant: $143,700.
- Stonington Free Library needs to replace an existing bank of windows to conserve energy. Total project cost $30,000. Grant: $10,000.
- Kent Memorial Library in Suffield is replacing the existing building with a totally new building (33,000 square feet). The new building will be ADA-compliant and will be able to provide the needed library services, especially in the children's area. Total project cost: $ 11,052,352. Grant: $500,000.
- West Hartford Public Library will construct a 16, 888 square foot addition with a total square footage of 56,130. The Library will have more space for services - doubling the children's area, and adding a computer lab, local history room, a new teen room, as well as public/meeting spaces. Total project cost: $5,800,000. Grant: $500,000.
All these grants have been approved by the State Bond Commission.
Mary Louise Jensen, Building Consultant