On August 8, 2007, Guilford Library had a groundbreaking ceremony for their $8 million addition and renovation project. Guilford is an historic residential and summer shoreline community, a suburb of New Haven, with a population of 22,400. The library, located on the town green, will be expanding from 18,395 square feet to 34,000 square feet. On that very hot day, Edith Nettleton, the original librarian from 1933-78, was in attendance (see picture with shovels). She has been a library volunteer from 1978 to today, and she will soon turn 100.
Speakers: Sitting (left to right) Tom Ginz, Co-chair Library Building Committee; Kendall Wiggin, State Librarian; Patricia Widlitz, State Representative; Matthew Hoey, Chair, Board of Finance; Carl Balestracci, First Selectman; Standing at podium - Fred Vogt, President, Guilford Library Association; and Standing at right: Sandra Ruoff, Library Director
Left to right: Fred Vogt, President, Guilford Library Association; Thomas Ginz, Co-Chair, Library Building Committee; Noel Hanf, Co-Chair, Library Building Committee; Kendall Wiggin, State Librarian; Edith Nettleton, Retired Library Director; Sandra Ruoff, Library Director; Matthew Hoey, Chair, Board of Finance; Patricia Widlitz, State Representative; George Gdovin, Clerk of the Works; Carl Balestracci, First Selectman; Bruce Tuthill, Tuthill & Wells Architects.
Mary Louise Jensen, Building Consultant