iCONN On Every Desktop is a campaign to encourage all libraries to place a freely accessible image of iCONN on the desktop of every publicly accessible computer in the library in order to increase public awareness of iCONN.
Why Put iCONN On Every Desktop?
The state provides iCONN at no charge to all
residents, schools and libraries in Connecticut yet
only a small percentage of Connecticut’s residents
are even aware that it exists. Putting this image on the desktop of every public access computer will
increase iCONN’s visibility to library users.
iCONN delivers a wealth of online resources 24/7 with a statewide value
estimated at over $32 million per year (what it would
cost all libraries in Connecticut to individually subscribe to the same resources using local tax dollars).
Your patrons will appreciate the information. It’s their tax dollars
(over $2 million per year) at work.
Now it's even easier to get to iCONN. Download
the iCONN image below to your computer's desktop. Then you
can simply click on the image to get to iCONN. All you need
to do is:
- Right-click on the iCONN image to the right
- Select "Save Target As" (Internet Explorer) or "Save
Link As" (Firefox) when the menu appears
- Select the drop-down menu when the next window appears
- Select "Desktop" from the menu
- Click on the "Save" button
- Right-click on the desktop image and select Properties from the popup menu
- In the iCONN Properties window, click on the Unblock button near the lower right hand corner
- In the iCONN Properties window, click the Apply button, then click the OK button
Note: If you use a Macintosh computer, the image above
will not work but you can create your own Macintosh-compatible link on your
desktop by following these instructions:
- Go to iCONN
- Click on "Bookmarks" and "Add
Bookmark" (iCONN shows up on the bottom of the list)
- Go to "Show All Bookmarks." In the dialog window
"Type a name for the bookmark, and choose where to
keep it." Click "Add."
- Go to the bottom of the list and drag the iCONN link to the desktop.
After installing the image on your desktop, clicking
on the image should bring you directly to this page (note that your library’s name will appear in the identity statement at the bottom of the page):
If installing the image on your home computer,
because you are outside the library, clicking on the
image will bring you to a login page:
If you need assistance, please contact Eric Hansen
Eric.A.Hansen@ct.gov or (860) 704-2224 or toll
free (888) 256-1222.