One way to make change happen is to pass legislation.
- What issues concern you?
- Maybe you don't like people around you smoking when you go out to eat.
- Perhaps your town has one too many power plants built in it while others have none.
- At work, you might not be happy with the long hours and no extra pay.
- At some point in our lives, we might have needs that can't rely on society's good will. Somehow, change has to be enforced.
- Laws exist to protect the common good. It's your right and responsiblity to try to change them when you see something wrong. Certainly laws come from ordinary ideas about how to make life easier, safer, more fair - but how? That "how" is what the legislative process (and this tutorial) is all about.