Preserving the Past, Informing the Future
|Skip Navigation Links|
Andrew Storrs Campbell, a member of the bar of this state, was born on February 8, 1875, at East Windsor, Connecticut, the son of George W. and Sarah J. (Bissell) Campbell. He was born and bred in a typical New England atmosphere and was justly proud of his colonial ancestry and their services to Connecticut. He attended Enfield High School, and was graduated from Yale University in 1898 and from the Yale Law School in 1901. He was admitted to the Connecticut state bar in June, 1900.
For over forty years he practiced law in Hartford. He was a member of the firm of Campbell, Brewer & Foss and afterward the firm of Campbell & Brewer. In 1933 he became associated with Judge William A. Arnold and in April, 1939, he formed the law firm of Campbell, Sherman, and Respess, of which he was a member until his death on August 6, 1942.
In his professional work, Mr. Campbell was as deeply concerned over the principle involved as he was over the amount involved. He demonstrated this in the well-known second Loomis Institute case wherein our Supreme Court held that the trustees of a charitable corporation are at all times subject to the control of courts of equitable jurisdiction and upon proper application may be compelled to obey the terms of its charter.
From 1930 until his death he served continuously as a member of the state bar examining committee. He was interested in young men who were preparing for the bar and kept in touch with them after their admission. He was also chairman of the Hartford county bar committee on the unauthorized practice of law. He devoted himself wholeheartedly to the work of these two committees, giving unsparingly of his time and energy in an effort to raise the standards of the bar.
After his admission to the bar, Mr. Campbell resided in Hartford for about fifteen years and was a councilman in the Court of Common Council for three years, part of the time serving as vice president of the Council. From 1912 to 1914 he was a member of the board of alderman and the charter revision commission of Hartford. In 1916 he moved to Enfield, where he resided until his death. He became a member of the town plan commission of Enfield,, and was elected in 1920 one of the representatives of Enfield to the General Assembly. While there he served on the important judiciary committee and the committee on contested elections. His attitude toward public offices is expressed by his own words:
"It seems to me that the big job for college men is not primarily seeking public office, but keeping before the public mind sound principles of action in state and national matters, and to be ready at any time to go down to defeat in advocacy of them. The danger of the hour is the prostitution of principles for personal advancement."
His activities and his interests extended to the church, both in Hartford and in Enfield, and he served both of his churches for many years in various capacities.
In 1902 he married Miss Mabel Rowe of New Haven, who survives. He also leaves two daughters, Mrs. Gerald B. Thayer of Baldwin, Long Island, N.Y., and Miss Janet R. Campbell of Enfield, and two sons, Gordon R. Campbell, now in the United States Navy, and Allan B. Campbell of Enfield.
Mr. Campbell was a conscientious and respected attorney, a public-spirited citizen and an earnest churchman.[footer.htm]