Connecticut State Library with state seal

Memorials of Connecticut Judges and Attorneys
As Printed in the Connecticut Reports
volume 50, page(s) 624


SAMUEL HOWARD HUNTINGTON, at the time of his death the oldest member of the Hartford County bar, died at the city of Hartford on the 4th day of February, 1880, at the age of eighty-six. He was born at Suffield in this state, December 4th, 1793, his father being Hezekiah Huntington, who was the United States District Attorney for about twenty-five years in the early part of the present century, and who removed to Hartford in 1813. Mr. Huntington graduated at Yale College in 1818, and immediately after studied law, and on his admission to the bar settled in the city of Hartford He did not however devote himself very long to the practice of his profession, but always held a recognized and honorable relation to it. He was a clerk of the State Senate in 1829. In the years 1842, 1843, 1846 and 1850, he was Judge of the County Court, the appointment then being an annual one. On the organization of the Court of Claims at Washington in 1863, he was made its chief clerk, and later published, with Judge Nott of that court, seven volumes of reports of its decisions. This office he resigned, on account of advancing years, in 1873.

In 1825 he married Catherine H., daughter of Mr. George Brinley, who died in 1832. In 1835 he married Sarah B., daughter of Robert Watkinson. He left three sons and four daughters, children of his second wife.

Judge Huntington was a man of fine presence, tall, and with a military erectness; with much positiveness of opinion he united gentleness of manner and great kindness of heart. He had a remarkably vigorous constitution, which he was able by moderation of life and general good habits to preserve unimpaired into old age. He had an even temperament and a sound judgment, and was a man of established integrity. He was through life an earnest adherent of the Episcopal Church, was nine times sent as a lay delegate to the general conventions of the church, was for twenty-three years secretary of the corporation of Trinity College at Hartford, and twenty-eight years one of its trustees, and was for more than thirty years one of the trustees of the Bishop's Fund of the diocese. He took an early and very special interest in the mission of the church in Greece.

His mind was active and vigorous to a time very near his death. He ended at last peacefully a life full of manly and Christian virtues, holding in a very high degree the public respect and esteem.