Members of Congress
Costs of Running a Congressional Office
Description: Detailed reports of salary payments to staff and reimbursements to Members' and Committee offices for such expenses as travel, clipping services, magazine subscriptions and incidentals are compiled by the House and the Senate.
- The House of Representatives issues
The Statement of Disbursements report quarterly.
- The Senate issues
The Report of the Secretary of the Senate twice a year
Directories at the State Library
- Congressional Staff Directory (GIS Ref JK 1012.C65)
- Congressional Yellow Book (GIS Ref JK 1083.B55)
- Official Congressional Directory (Latest edition in Reference Y 4.P 93/1:1/Congress)
- Center for Responsive Politics: A non-partisan, non-profit research group that tracks money in politics and its effect on elections and public policy.
- Federal Election Commission: An independent regulatory agency charged with administering the Federal Election Campaign Act. This site includes financial disclosure reports including contributions received by a specific campaign from individuals, committees and PACs.
- LexisNexis™ Congressional,
a database produced by LexisNexis™, available through the public Internet
terminals at the Connecticut State Library.
- Political Moneyline: Sponsored by TRKC Inc., an
Internet news and tracking service. This site collects and provides financial data on candidates, donors, disbursements, PACs, and parties.
- Project Vote Smart: A nationwide citizens organization. The
Web site includes links to financial information on elected officials, both federal and state.
Issue Positions/Voting Records
Special Interest Group Ratings of Members
- Annual Rating of Congress: Sponsored by the American Conservative Union which has rated every member of Congress since 1971.
- Congressional Report Cards: Prepared by the Voter Information Services, a non-profit, non-partisan organization that rates how closely a member's legislation reflects the position of a particular advocacy group.
- Project Vote Smart: A nationwide citizen's organization that collects performance evaluations from special interest groups.
of the page)
Prepared by the Government
Information and Reference Services Unit, 11/2007.